Our Mission [es]
The mission of the Fair Labor Association (FLA) is to combine the efforts of industry, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to protect workers’ rights and improve working conditions worldwide by promoting adherence to international labor standards.
The FLA conducts independent monitoring and verification to ensure that the FLA’s Workplace Standards are upheld where FLA company products are produced. Through public reporting, the FLA provides consumers and shareholders with credible information to make responsible buying decisions.
Originally drafted by the Apparel Industry Partnership in 1997, the FLA Charter outlines the association’s mission, structure and programs. It has since been modified (latest modifications in February 2008) by the FLA Board of Directors and includes:
- Participation criteria for Companies;
- Affiliation criteria for Colleges and Universities;
- Accreditation criteria for Independent External Monitors;
- Workplace Code of Conduct; and
- Principles of Monitoring.